STARS assists people to find voluntary positions which meet their skills, interests and availability.
- Information about Volunteering
- Referrals to volunteer vacancies with registered not for profit service providers
- Training for volunteers
- Events which bring volunteers together
We maintain up to date information about Volunteer vacancies in the Canterbury Bankstown and Inner West areas. The types of volunteer positions available include
- Delivering meals for a frail aged person or someone with a disability
- Being a companion for someone with a mental illness
- Assisting families with young children
- Tutoring assistance in Home Work help programs
- Home visiting and social support for an aged person
- Working as part of a team to convert gardens to low maintenance and making them easier to manage for the frail aged and people with disabilities
- Teaching english or providing settlement support for a migrant or refugee
- Helping to rescue or care for animals
- Driving a mini bus for seniors outings
- Providing social support in small or large group settings for frail aged people
- Working with the Emergency services
- Office or reception work with a Community Organisation
- Environmental or conservation work
- Delivering meals or assisting in their preparation for Day Centre or Meals on Wheels Services for frail aged residents
- Assisting a frail aged person with their shopping
Interested in Volunteering and want to find out more?
STARS offers free monthly Step Into Volunteering Information Sessions which provide an overview and introduction to volunteering. Topics include
- What is volunteering;
- Benefits of volunteering;
- What a person should consider before volunteering
- What volunteering positions are available and how to find them;
- Your rights and responsibilities as a volunteer, and
- The link between volunteering and employment.
Contact the STARS Volunteer Promotion Officer on 9750 9344 to book into our next Step Into Volunteering Information Session.
STARS can also provide you with information and resources on local volunteering opportunities in the Canterbury Bankstown and Inner West areas and also regularly posts Volunteer Opportunities on the SEEK Volunteering website. STARS can also keep you up to date with training opportunities.
Do you work in a not for profit Organisation that needs Volunteers?
STARS can help you to recruit and support your Volunteers. We provide regular opportunities for Learning and Development for local volunteers on our bi-annual Calendar or can work with you to develop a training course specific to your requirements. We also host regular forums where Volunteer Co ordinators can meet to discuss current issues.
If you would like to receive Volunteer referrals from STARS complete the Agency Registration form and Position Description form and contact the STARS team on 9750 9344 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your requirements.
STARS is funded by the Australian Government under the Commonwealth Home Support Program and Canterbury Bankstown Council to provide assistance to not for profit Organisations in the Canterbury Bankstown and Inner West areas to recruit and train volunteers. We also receive support from the Bankstown Sports Club through the ClubGRANTS Program.